Scholarships & Contests
Bloomwell offers scholarships, contests, and drawings.
Read more about Bloomwell 529 Education Savings Plan’s featured scholarship, contests, and drawings, along with eligibility requirements for each.
“Why I Want to Go to College” Writing Sweepstakes
The 2023 entry period has ended. Please check back for the announcement of this year’s sweepstakes winners.
Seventh and eight grade students in the U.S. can enter the 21st annual “Why I Want to Go to College” writing sweepstakes sponsored by the Nebraska Educational Savings Plan Trust and the Omaha Storm Chasers Baseball Club.
- Open to seventh and eighth grade students.
- All essays must be post-marked by Monday, April 3, 2023.
- The essay should be no more than 750 words.
- Students are asked to reflect on the value of education and what they hope to achieve through higher education.
- Winners will be contacted in April 2023.
- Do not submit entries to Union Bank & Trust; they will not be forwarded or included in the Sweepstakes.
Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners:
- 1st place winners: $2,000 contribution to a Nebraska 529 Plan
- 2nd place winners: $1,000 contribution to a Nebraska 529 Plan
- 3rd place winners: $500 contribution to a Nebraska 529 Plan
Essay must include a cover sheet and the following:
- Student’s name and grade
- Resident address
- Parent/Guardian name and telephone number
- Parent/Guardian email address (if available)
- Nebraska residents: include your U.S. Congressional District (either district 1, 2, or 3)
- Non-Nebraska residents: do not include a Congressional District
Mail your essay and cover sheet as follows:Omaha Storm Chasers
Attn: Jenna Kniss
NEST Writing Sweepstakes
12356 Ballpark Way
Papillion, NE 68046
For more information on the sweepstakes rules and prizes:
The Nebraska State Treasurer’s Office website.
Looking for something specific?